The term lorry loader covers an extraordinary range of equipment. The smallest compact lorry loaders are fitted to builders’ pick-up trucks and vans often with a lifting capacity of less than 500 kilograms and are manually operated. This contrasts with a top-of-the-range lorry loader fitted to a purpose-built tractor or four axle truck. These could be fitted with a knuckle boom and up to 8 hydraulic extensions lifting in excess of 150 tones, and with a reach over 30 meters.
The complexity of operating the various machines that fall into this category highlight the wide variety of skills required.
- Duties of operator
- Responsibilities of operator
- Pre-Shift inspections
- Maintenance of machines
- Hazards associated when operating the machine
- Inspections of machine before use
- Risk assessment in working environment
- Wearing of correct PPE
- Loading / Unloading of different types of loads when using chains or slings
- Recognition and use of approved hand signals
- POBS certification on completion
Duration: 1 day for experienced operators